0

They made their own story like a director!

To avoid my students from being bored in class, I sometimes ask them to go the multimedia room at second floor. There are LCD and sound system that enough to enjoying film. Yes, I give them a bit refreshing before another additional lessons. Yesterday, I gave them a show of "The Adventure of Tintin". I choose the film carefully to avoid any unintended content, yet still fun to enjoy. And they did enjoyed it. They screamed loud when
the action was breathtaking, they laughed when the player did something silly. 

But the lesson time is shorter than the film to finish. So, I give them a task. They should take their selves as the director of the film, and make their own story line, continuing the part that was break at that time. They got confuse at the beginning, 'what should I write?'. But then I said to them to let go of their imagination, and bring Tintin and his friend to your world and make some exquisite story. 

But then a voice came from the back seat, "Can we write it in Indonesia, Mam?". I said, "In English, of course. You are now in English class, don't you?". And the averse atmosphere getting thicker than before. I encouraged them, "Just write down what your imagination tell you, don't think much about the grammar, it is okay to get wrong, as long as you want to try and you can fix it later." 

Then they did it with fun. Sometimes they opened the dictionary for unfamiliar vocab, or asked directly to me or their friends. They won't start to write if I insist to get a grammatically perfect story. That was my hook. Once they started the writing, they will learn a lot from a new vocab and a new world they found in their head. Learning English is fun, isn't it? ("Hey, what about me?", the grammar protest)

Here I'll show you one of their creation.

"Tintin, Snowy, and Archibal Haddock try hard conquered defense's Shakarine, and they success. So that Shakarine to intend neutralized a cooperate with them. In order to could easier to spreaded mistery of three unicorn that. Whit an doubt, Tintin received that cooperate. 

They sailed to bewitch the place where third unicorn was with Karaboudjan ship. After found third unicorn, forced the mask's Shakarine. He bought tens troops to killed Tintin, Snowy, and Archibal Haddock.

After all of them where killed, Shakarine gathered mistery of three unicorn. And appear mistery of three unicorn is a treasure. Shakarine with his troops sailed to bewitch the place where the treasure was. But, in the middle ocean, they got  big calamity, hurricane to spring upon, big rain, and big wave swallowed Karaboudjan ship that they rode. Shakarine and his troops were died."

P.S.: to answer Grammar's protest, I will present this writing and ask the student to analyze and correct the grammar together. :) 

0 komen:

Post a Comment

Back to Top